Beets are members of the same family as spinach and chard and their leaves are packed with chlorophyll and other nutrients. The nutritional profile of their greens is superior to the one of their roots. Betacyanin is the compound which gives beets their purple color. The combination of beetroot and the greens is a potent cleanser and blood builder.
Beets are packed with vitamins like A, B1, B2, B6 and C. As for the mineral content, they are rich in calcium, iron, sodium, phosphorus, copper, and magnesium.
Although the root has a lesser nutritional value than the beet greens, the root is a great source of folate, potassium, fiber, carbohydrates, iodine, choline, and manganese.
When it comes to iron, it is worth noting that the iron from beets is of the highest quality, which makes this veggie and ideal blood cleansing agent.
In addition to their blood cleansing properties, beets provide a wide plethora of health benefits which can positively affect every part of the body. Check out the top 13 benefits beets have to offer:
1. Acidosis: Beets are highly alkaline, which makes them effective tool against acidosis.
2. Anemia: This condition is caused by severe iron deficiency. The iron in beets helps restore iron levels by reactivating the red blood cells and promoting proper supply of oxygen to the body.
3. Atherosclerosis: Beet juice is an excellent solvent for calcium deposits which lead to atherosclerosis.
4. Blood pressure: Beets possess properties which help normalize blood pressure, meaning lowering high blood pressure levels and raising low ones.
5. Cancer: Beetroot contains betaine, a compound which has been found to inhibit the formation of cancer-causing compounds.
6. Constipation: Regular consumption of beet juice alleviates constipation due to the cellulose in beets.
7. Dandruff: To make an all-natural remedy for dandruff, mix a little vinegar with some beet juice and massage the solution into the scalp.
8. Detoxification: Beets support the detoxification of the liver, along with the rest of the system. What makes them a potent detoxing agent is the high choline content.
9. Gastric ulcer: Mix beet juice with some honey and consume the mixture three times a week pn an empty stomach.
10. Gall bladder and kidney ailments: Beets aid in ailments related to the gallbladder and the kidneys, especially when combined with carrot juice.
11. Gout: Thanks to its cleansing properties, beetroot is an effective ailment for gout.
12. Liver or bile: Bile ailments like hepatitis, diarrhea, vomiting, food poisoning, and jaundice can be relieved by beets and their cleansing properties.
13. Varicose veins: Regular consumption of beets helps prevent against varicose veins.
- When picking beets, choose the ones with round bottoms as they are sweeter than flat-bottomed ones.
- Pick fresh beets!
- Pick the ones that are firm and unwrinkled.
- Never overheat them as this reduces their nutritional value.
- Make sure you remove the skin prior cooking.
- With the greens attached, beets can keep for a few days only. Without the greens, they can keep up to a few weeks.
- When making juice, add a quarter slice of lemon to improve the taste and boost the nutrient absorption.
source : besthealthyguide.com