Dry skin is dead skin that has accumulated over the top layer of the skin. This is because it has not been exfoliated for a long time.
Below are some very easy and simple ways to get rid of dead skin from feet and legs.
How to Remove Dry Skin From Your Feet:
Exfoliation involves removing the dead surface-layer skin using either a chemical or physical exfoliator.
Physical exfoliators include:
- body brushes
- electronic callus removers
- foot scrubs
You can buy foot scrubs or make your own at home by mixing warm water, honey, and sugar.
Chemical exfoliators take the form of thin liquidsor lotions. These exfoliators contain ingredients that dissolve dead cells on the surface of the skin, including lactic acid, glycolic acid, and alpha-hydroxy acid.
While foot peels are popular chemical exfoliators that manufacturers have designed in specif, for the feet. Some foot peels contain alcohols and artificial fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin. Therefore, it is important to check the list of ingredients for any potential irritants or allergens before buying a foot peel.
For a gentler foot peel, you can use chemical exfoliators that the label describes as suitable for facial use. You can choose between brands of exfoliating product online:
- foot scrubs
- shop for electronic callus removers
- shop for foot brushes
2. Foot Soak
You can add different ingredients, including Epsom salt or oatmeal to a foot soak. Soaking the feet using warm water helps soothe, and loosen dry skin while also improving blood circulation to the feet, which can help in preventing dry skin in the future.
Adding a small amount of vinegar to a foot soak may help in treating mild forms of athlete’s foot. Vinegar contains powerful anti-microbial properties that may help to disinfect the feet, and even eliminate foot odor.
Epsom Salt and Listerine Foot Soak
1 cup Listerine
1/2 cup Epsom salt
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
A tub or bucket Warm water
- Combine all the ingredients into the warm water, then give it a mix.
- Soak your feet in the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Wash the softened dead skin using water.
- Repeat this at least twice a week.
Why This Works:
While Listerine helps in disinfectsing the skin and relieving itchiness, the Epsom salt in the soak removes all toxins and relaxes your muscles. Your skin will feel refreshed after this soak.
3. Using Foot File or Pumice Stone
You can use a pumice stone or metal foot file to remove calluses and dry skin from your feet.
You can do this by following the steps below:
- Soak your feet using warm water to soften the dead skin.
- Wet the foot file or pumice stone with warm water.
- Gently rub the foot file or pumice stone over the callus or dead skin. Use circular motions using a pumice stone, and gentle back-and-forth motions with a foot file.
- Rinse the dead skin off your feet. Repeat step 3 as necessary.
- Pat your feet dry using a clean towel.
- Moisturize your feet with lotion, cream, or oil.
- You can buy pumice stones in drug stores or online.
Regularly moisturizing your feet will help in reducing existing dry skin and preventing new dry skin from accumulating. Moisturizing your feet after using a pumice stone or an exfoliator will help the skin lock in moisture.
It is best to avoid creams, lotions, and moisturizers that contain added fragrances, alcohol, and artificial colors as these ingredients can worsen dry skin.
Instead, you should try for products that contain:
- emollients, which include plant-based butter and oil
- humectants, such as urea, aloe, and hyaluronic acid
- occlusives, such as petrolatum, lanolin, and coconut oil
Banana (as Moisturizer)
- Mash two ripe bananas into a smooth paste. Remember to use ripe bananas. Unripe bananas contain acid which is harsh for your skin.
- Rub gently the paste all over your feet, including the sides of the toe and nail beds.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse your feet using clean water, after 30 minutes.
- Repeat this every night prior going to bed for 2 weeks, or until you are satisfied with the results.
Banana is a known natural skin moisturizer. Bananas contain vitamins A, B6, and C, and all these help to maintain the elasticity of the skin, while keeping it hydrated.
source : www.1mhealthtips.com