The research on health benefits of turmeric has expanded in last few decades. The modern scientists have found that ancient cultures all over the world have mentioned the worth and benefits of turmeric in some of the old scriptures. The mankind who exist long ago on this planet were aware of the ways turmeric can enhance the human health. This made the today’s scientists curious about turmeric and thus the research on turmeric got huge focus in medical science.
It is amazing that the research till now has found more than 600 health benefits of turmeric. These health benefits are due the active compound called curcumin present in turmeric which has a lot of medicinal properties. A recent research on turmeric has found that this magical spice can help in brain regeneration.
Benefits of Turmeric
Some of the prominent health benefits of turmeric include:
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, intake of turmeric reduces inflammation instantly and it neutralizes the free radicals present in the body.
- The brain degenerative process can be combated using turmeric as it increases the level of hormone BDNF in the body. It also stimulates the development of new neurons in the body.
- It enhances the health of your heart and keeps the heart disease at bay.
- It can be used as a potential agent to prevent and cure cancer.
- Intake of turmeric is very effective to fight depression as it boosts the level of neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin in the body.
- Turmeric can keep you younger for a long time as it delays aging and fights age-related conditions.
An Overlooked Benefit
There is one more fat-soluble compound present in turmeric named as aromatic-turmerone which is often overlooked. Recently German researchers conducted a study to analyze the effect of turmeric on the neural stem cells. The researcher found that when neural stem cells are exposed to aromatic-turmerone their number increases by 80% and a rapid healing process took place. When they used aromatic-turmerone on rats they developed a new and healthy brain cells and growth was a noticed in hippocampus and subventricular zone.
Aromatic-turmerone can be effectively used to aid NSCs in brain regeneration. It can also help the health issues like diseases like Alzheimer`s or stroke. Aromatic-turmerone can easily distinguish between the neurons and the stem cells and promotes the stem cell proliferation. Also, curcumin present in turmeric boost the memory of Alzheimer`s patients and help to cure the issue.
So What does this mean?
People often use the curcumin extract of turmeric to gain all the health benefits; however, they obviously miss out on the healing benefits which are offered by aromatic-turmerone present in the turmeric. Thus, it is important to use the whole turmeric when you are looking for gaining some health benefits out of it.
Scientists are still exploring the health benefits of aromatic-turmerone and its regenerative effect on the brain. However, what we should remember that aromatic-turmerone and curcumin both are important compound present in turmeric and thus we should use the whole turmeric for the medicinal use.
You will need:
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 cups of water
- Boil the water, then add turmeric and let it boil for another 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool for few minutes before drinking it.
Turmeric & Oil/Fat
You will need:
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Heat the ingredients in a saucepan, making sure the mixture doesn’t reach a boiling point. Drink it while it’s still warm.
Note: Feel free to add this recipe to your soup, curry, or any recipe of your choosing.
source : http://letsgohealthy.net